Cold calling is the process of approaching prospective customers or clients, typically via telephone, who were not expecting such an interaction. The word “cold” is used because the person receiving the call is not expecting a call or has not specifically asked to be contacted by a sales person. It can be done in person as well which is called “Door to Door”.
Cold calling is not a preferred chore but can become easy as everything else with the right plan.
Three areas of business where cold calling is important are:
- generating new business
- instant market research
- developing business partnerships
Before you begin, Get comfortable, have a headset so you can have your hands free, move around your desk the energy you will show in your voice.
Having the right script that will has your name, company, your objective (The End Result Of The Benefit You Offer)and get an appointment: Ask for the person in charge: Come up with 2 or 3 specific core problems that your product or servoce solves(Avoid generic words as ”cut costs” or “increase revenues”.
The problem is not what you are selling is how you are selling it. Do not hit the “WALL” of rejection by trying to push a YES from the first call, understand the mentality of your prospects first. Remove the pressure of pushing in the initial cold call, you will have many satisfactions. Start with a presentation not a dialog”.
In summary some tips for Cold Calls:
- Be positive
- Be yourself, smile when you talk as the person on the other end can hear it in your voice
- Prepare, Prepare, Prepare: Research the company/ person you are calling to avoid annoying them
- Ask the right questions
- Be nice to the secretaries, assistants as they are your contacts to your prospects
- Prepare an opening statement
- Properly introduce yourself, name, company, title and how you can help them
- Offer a solution, deliver value to every call
- Create a routine time to call every day, look at the formula below
- Keep proper logs of your calls
- Do not take it personal if you get turned down, just move to the next contact
Set yourself a daily goal: Remember the formula: 10 contacts = 5 appointments = 2 kept appointments = 1 SALE